Outer Journey
One of my favorite exhibits in the many different museums that we went to was the Hurricane Katrina exhibit in the Presbytere. When you walked in it started out in the very beginning of New Orleans history and all of the hard ships that they have experienced. There was a small TV screen that was constantly rolling all of the hurricanes that have flooded New Orleans since they have been established. There was dozens. Watching the dates flow by on the little screen made me hurt for this city, because there was one at least every year, or more than once a year up until Katrina. Following the flow of the exhibit landed me in the middle of 3 floor to ceiling screens that were playing videos of Hurricane Katrina as it flooded New Orleans and swept away the city. During this presentation there was many fans that hung from the ceiling on full blast, moving my hair in all different directions. Lights flashed as though it was lightning, it was a small dark room that made you feel like you were living there and experiencing Hurricane Katrina. It seriously opened my eyes to how terrified these people were. Everything happened so quickly that they had no time to react. I felt really bad for everyone that suffered through this tragedy. It was eye opening and a great experience. I am so glad that I was able to go through this museum to learn about a big catastrophe.
Pictured below is a timeline of one of the days before Hurricane Katrina hit.
Inner Journey
Also apart of the Presbytere, the Hurricane Katrina exhibit gave so many different types of people's stories. For example, one man feared he wouldn't make it out of the city, so on the pant leg of his jeans, he wrote his name, where his wife was staying, along with the hotel phone number, her name, his social security number, and his blood type. It was so sad to see that he was thinking he was going to die while trying to make it to his wife. People during Katrina really struggled, but rallied together to help others and do as much as they can. In this exhibit, it really showed how the city came together as one. Another wonderful experience that I had today was when I tried my first muffuletta. A muffuletta is a sandwich that consists of salami, ham, olive salad, swiss, provolone, and mortadella cheese. It was so good. Definitely one of the best sandwiches I have EVER had. I believe it was invented by the Italians for people who wanted something hearty while working on the docks. It was really neat to hear how this dish was invented in New Orleans, as well as the history behind it. We also got to explore and learn about New Orleans history in the Cabildo, as well as tour through the Jazz museum to learn about Louis Prima and Professor Longhair. I was really fun to listen to good jazz music, as well as learn how to swing dance in the museum! I had a really good time touring around Frenchman Street and even got to walk through a few little boutiques in my free time. It was a busy day, but a lot of fun!
Pictured is a muffuletta
No comments:
Post a Comment